COMPONENT I: INTRODUCTION TO DIGITAL MARKETING
DOLLAR SHAVE CLUB
Dr. Nidhi Phutela
ABOUT THE BRAND
• Dollar Shave Club is an American company based in Venice, California, that
delivers razors and other personal grooming products to customers by mail. It delivers razor
blades on a monthly basis and offers additional grooming products for home delivery.
• It was founded on JANUARY 18,2011 by MICHAEL DUBIN and MARK LEVINE.
• Parent : Unilever
• On July 19, 2016, Dollar Shave Club was acquired by Unilever for a reported $1 billion in cash.
• On March 6, 2012, the company uploaded a YouTube video entitled "Our Blades Are F***ing
Great" featuring CEO Michael Dubin, delivering his speech in a nonchalant and sarcastic
manner. The video prompted 12,000 orders in a two-day span after it was released, and has
received over 24 million views as of February 2017.
ONLINE PURCHASING PARTNER: www.amazon.com
SOCIAL MEDIA PRESENCE:
Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram & Linkedin
• No. of likes- 3.7 million
• Post are made everyday
• Animated posts which are very attractive
• Customers can buy products via Facebook page
• Videos as well as photos are posted
• No.Of followers: 86.8k
• No. Of following: 2109
• Every 2-3 hour tweets.
• Memes & photos are posted which looks very attractive.
• No. of followers: 195k
• No. of following: 204
• No. of photos: 1604
• Customers can buy products online via Instagram.
• Videos (igtv) are posted.
• No. of employees: 314
• No. of followers: 16,257
• Monthly posts are made
• Pre roll video directly to CTA- website.
• Focus on women based target market
• No. of subscribers: 35,398
• Gender- Male & Female
• 18-29 years of age group
• Income 3,00,000/year
• Individuals looking for good deals
• Men with regular grooming needs
CONSUMER INSIGHTS WITH
• Loading page: informative & attractive
• Loading time: fast
• Comments: both negative and positive
Proposition: benefit that the company or the product is providing to the
customers for value of paying.
The company which has both functional and emotional benefits
has the highest proposition.
• Cost saving
• Best quality
• Fast service
• Fast delivery
• Use of alovera
• Online based
• Subscription model
• Environment friendly
• Packaging with recyclable
• User friendly
TYPE OF CONTENT
Is any form of content, such as images, videos, text and audio, that
have been posted by users on online platforms such as social
media and wikis
Content for customer engagement is about being relevant – which
can mean many things as you'll read below – and responding to
needs. It means providing value.
Usage of English slangs over their advertising communication to attract the
• Here we can see that the post which has been uploaded on Facebook and
twitter by dollar shave club has both positive as well as negative setoff
• The brand tackles these set of comments by giving a funny reply as to
attract more users to read and react to the comments.
• These posts are uploaded on professional platform which provides utility
with a tincture of humor.
ANALYSIS OF THE POSTS
• The ads create a personal connect with the customers by giving both
functional as well as emotional benefits.
• Content which the brand is using in their ads are targeting customer
• The products are cheap in comparison to other brands making it attractive
to the youth as grooming is an essential part of today’s generation needs.
• Strategic partnerships should be considered by the brand via back links and
referral to gain customers' trust.
• For this amazon can be used as a platform by connecting it to the main