Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER OF SAN FRANCISCO
Listening Experiment – Leveraging Social Media
What were the objectives, audience, and how did integrate with your marketing or audience
• Building content on our website as well as our Facebook and Twitter pages that better
engages our current patrons and attracts new visitors.
• Discovering what the community is saying about us and finding the best avenue to engage
them in conversation.
• Figuring out what online influencers are talking about us or our events and what their potential
influence is to build our audience and reputation.
• How to engage our current and potential audiences in conversations about our events and
What were some tactics that you tried?
• We set up listening stations, utilizing tools including Netvibes, Google Alerts, Google Reader,
Social Mention, and a variety of Twitter tools such as Friend or Follow.
• We used these tools to follow brand terms as well as terms for specific events we presented.
What were the results?
• The listening tools made it easy to find content to share with our followers and fans.
• We found the need to filter very carefully to find relevant information due to the diversity, scope
and great quantity of our events as well as the other program areas offered at the JCCSF.
• We are ready to build a strong listening strategy for the new season.
If you could do this experiment all over again, what would you do differently?
• We would perform this experiment during the season as the experiment coincided with the end
of our season and we didn’t get enough information to draw conclusions.
• In order to be more effective, we need to schedule and assign listening tasks to several key
staff members. We found that following the large scope of events and information we need to
track, assess, respond to and cultivate (in the case of influencers) is too much to sift through
for just two people.
What was your big ah ha or insight that you'll use in your next social media strategy?
• We need a clear strategy for the audience development aspect of this experiment. In order to
assess the return on the time expense, we need clear goals which translate not only into
reputation based concepts, but into actual sales and moreover, repeat sales.
• We need to develop a reporting strategy that shares insights with key members of our arts and
• We need a reporting strategy that includes KPI's (key performance indicators) to assess the
value of this type of communication for our programs.